2006-2018 BMW X5 Oil Reset
About BMW X5
he BMW X5 is a executive, rear-wheel drive luxury SUV produced by BMW.
The X5 made its debut in 1999. It was BMW’s first SUV and it also featured all-wheel drive and was available with either manual or automatic transmission. In 2006, the second generation X5 was launched, known internally as the E70, featuring the torque-split capable xDrive all-wheel drive system mated to an automatic transmission, and in 2009 the X5 M performance variant was released as a 2010 model.
BMW branded the X5 as a Sport Activity Vehicle (SAV) rather than an SUV, to emphasize its on-road ability despite its size. Like the Lexus RX 300, the X5 heralded the shift from light truck-based body-on-frame SUVs to crossovers underpinned by unibody car platforms that would come to fruition in the late 2000s. Among German luxury automakers, while the Mercedes-Benz M-Class had beaten the X5 to the market by a year, the X5 was the first to use a unibody chassis whereas the M-Class used a light truck platform until its second generation. While the Lexus RX is based on the Toyota Camry mass market sedan, the X5 shares its underpinnings with the BMW 5 Series performance luxury sedan.
X5s are manufactured in Greer, South Carolina at the Spartanburg BMW plant and modified for armoured, security versions in Mexico at the BMW de México Toluca plant. Since July 2009, some assembly operations are also performed in Kaliningrad, Russia by Avtotor.
Starting with the X5, BMW’s “SAV” series has since expanded with derivatives of other BMW number-series models, first in 2003 with the BMW X3 compact luxury crossover, and then in 2008 with the BMW X6 midsize coupe luxury crossover which shares its platform with the X5.
2006-2013 Oil Reset
- Turn ignition to Terminal 15, which is one turn of the key or one press of the START/STOP button.
- Press and hold the SET/RESET button on the instrument cluster for 10 seconds.
- The upper display will be illuminated with a service item. The lower display will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for the service item.
- Pressing the button repeatedly will allow the display to scroll through all of the condition based service items.
- Press and hold the SET/RESET button again and the lower display will indicate “OK” or “DUE”.
- Pressing the SET/RESET button again will allow the “RESET” to appear in the lower display for that service.
- Releasing and reapplying the button one more time will reset the service displayed in the upper window only.
2013-2018 Oil Reset
- Press the start/stop button once (do not start the engine).
- Press and hold the SET/RESET button until the service indicator light appears.
- Press the SET/ RESET button repeatedly to scroll the service menu.
- With the oil change interval highlighted, press and hold the SET/RESET button.
- When “RESET” appears, release the SET/RESET button and press and hold again.
- Reset complete when “OK” and new mileage appears.
- Turn ignition off.