Read and Erase Check Engine OBD1 Code of Mitsubishi L300 Without OBD Scan Tool
This is a simple tutorial for reading and erasing the OBD1 Check engine codes on the Mitsubishi L300 without the use of an OBD Scan tool. This tutorial is applicable only to the following year models of the Mitsubishi L300: 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2000.
READING THE CHECK ENGINE CODES PROCEDURE
- Make sure the engine is OFF.
- Locate the Data Link Connector. See image below for your reference.
- Possible Location:
- Under the drivers side dash panel.
- In or next to the fusebox under the dash panel.
- Inside or below the glovebox.
- Connect analogue Multi Tester between data link connector (DLC) terminals 1 and 12. Set the the Tester to DC 2.5 or 10 Volts.
- Turn the Ignition ON.
- Count voltmeter needle deflections. Compare with trouble code table.
- Each trouble code consists of two groups of one or more needle deflections.
- Long deflections indicate the ‘TENS’ of the trouble code .
- Short deflections indicate the ‘ONE’ of the trouble code.
- A short pause separates each deflection.
- A long pause separates each trouble code.
- For example: Trouble code 12 displayed.
- Write the code then check the corresponding code meaning below.
- If Multimeter needle deflects rapidly backwards and forwards: This indicates a normal condition with no faults found.
- If Multimeter needle deflects and remains forwards (high voltage): This indicates a suspected fault with the engine control module (ECM).
L300 OBD LIST OF DTC
DTC 11: Oxygen sensor (O2S)
DTC 12: Mass air flow (MAF) sensor
DTC 13: Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
DTC 14: Throttle position (TP) sensor
DTC 15: Idle speed control (ISC) actuator position sensor
DTC 21: Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
DTC 22: Engine speed (RPM) sensor/crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
DTC 23: Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor/camshaft position (CMP) sensor
DTC 24: Vehicle speed sensor (VSS)
DTC 25: Barometric pressure (BARO) sensor
DTC 36: Ignition timing adjuster
DTC 41: Injector
DTC 42: Fuel pump
DTC 0: No fault found
CLEARING AND ERASING THE L300 TROUBLE CODES
After fixing the problem. You can erase or clear the trouble codes by following the simple procedure below.
- Ensure ignition switched OFF.
- Disconnect battery earth lead.
- Wait 15 seconds.
- Reconnect battery earth lead
NOTE: Disconnecting the battery may erase memory from electronic units (e.g. radio, clock).