1995-1999 Volkswagen GTI Service Reminder Reset
The third-generation Golf (Mk3) made its home-market début in August 1991 and again grew slightly in comparison with its immediate predecessor, while its wheelbase remained unchanged.
New engines included the first Turbocharged Direct Injection (TD) diesel engine in a Golf, and a narrow-angle 2.8-litre VR6 engine. US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fuel consumption estimates are 9.0 L/100 km (31 mpg‑imp; 26 mpg‑US) (city) and 7.4 L/100 km (38 mpg‑imp; 32 mpg‑US) (highway), with 420 km (261 mi) per tank (city) and 584 km (363 mi) per tank (highway). For the first time ever, a Golf estate (Golf Variant) joined the line-up in September 1993 (although most markets did not receive this model until early 1994). At the same time, a completely new Mk3-derived Cabriolet was introduced, replacing the 13-year-old Mk1-based version with one based on the Mk3 Golf platform from 1995 to early 1999. The Mk3 Golf Cabrio received a Mk4-style facelift in late 1999 and was continued until 2002.
The notchback version, called VW Vento (or Jetta in North America), was presented in January 1992.
It was European Car of the Year for 1992, ahead of the new Citroën ZX and General Motors’ new Opel Astra model.
The Mk3 continued to be sold until 1999 in the United States, Canada and parts of South America, also in Mexico as a special edition called “Mi” (basically a Golf CL 4-door with added air conditioning, special interior, original equipment (OEM) black-tinted rear brake lights, and anti-lock brakes (ABS), but without a factory-fitted radio). The “i” in “Mi” is coloured red, which designates that multi-point fuel injection was equipped and the 1.8-litre engine was upgraded to 2.0-litres. Heated seats were offered on all trims.
Service reminder reset
NOTE: This procedure applies to A3 models.
NOTE: The Service Reminder Indicator can also be reset using an OEM scan tool.
After performing the specified maintenance, reset the Service Reminder Indicator (SRI) displays according to the following table:
- Switch ignition ON.
- Press and hold odometer reset button (arrow) located below speedometer. See Fig. 2.
- Switch ignition OFF and release odometer reset button. “OEL” will now appear in SRI display
- Press and hold lower digital clock reset button (1) or analog clock reset (2) (see Fig. 3), until five dashes (- – – – -) appear in display.
- OEL SRI is now reset for 7500 miles (12,000 km) or 6 months, whichever comes first. Once OEL is reset, the other displays can be reset the same way without switching the ignition on and off again.
- a. Press odometer reset button to proceed to IN01 display (15,000 mile maintenance) and reset using clock reset button.
- b. If necessary, repeat procedure to reset IN02 (30,000 mile maintenance) display.
- c. To escape reset mode: Switch ignition ON; when “IN01” is displayed, switch ignition OFF.